10 Ways to add Simple Exercises Throughout Your Day
Do you feel that you are spending more time seated since the beginning of the pandemic? Are you less active? Have you gained weight? Do you have the impression that you are always at the fridge finding something to eat? Well, you are not alone. Many of my clients have those same feeling and are desperate to come back to our pre-pandemic normal and exercise with me again. I have also noticed that many of my older clients are often feeling isolated, lonely, and depressed. This breaks my heart. If I had a magic wand to wave, I would be with them in a blink of an eye, just to elevate their spirits.
It is easy to sit on the cough and watch TV. Unfortunately, the more we do that, the less we want to get outside and be active. It becomes a viscous cycle that has to be avoided to prevent gaining weight but also reduce our susceptibility to other health problems such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and depression, etc. Indeed, the less you move, the stiffer and less flexible your body gets and the more you risk pain related to arthritis inflammation.
Everybody should get between 20 to 30 minutes of exercise daily for a total of 150 minutes weekly. I have created a short list to give you ideas on how to add simple exercises through your day to feel more energized, more alive, and stronger.
- While still in bed in the morning, do 10-15 bridges.
- When preparing the coffee, do 8-12 triceps press on the wall (easier) or on the counter (harder). Keep your elbows in by your ribs.
- Next time you get up from a chair, do 10 to 12 chair squats (stand up from the chair slowly and sit without crashing back on your chair).
- When doing the dishes, be lighter on 1 foot or stand on 1 leg to practice your balance. Balance should be practiced daily.
- Every time you brush your teeth, bring your heels together and contract your butt chicks (glutes muscles).
- While driving and stopping at red lights, do some pelvic floor contractions:
- women: imagine you need to suddenly stop peeing
- men: imagine you walk into a cold lake
- When you go shopping, park your car further away and walk a longer distance.
- When you need to go up or down the stairs, do it twice!
- While watching TV, every 30 minutes, stand up to do single leg lift for 12-15 repetitions each leg (diagonal to work your glutes and outer thigh).
- Every time you come through a doorway, stay there for 30 seconds to stretch your chest. Stretching the chest helps to improve posture and body alignment.
Stretching should also be done daily to avoid muscles cramps and joint pain. I have a 8 days Stretch Yoga that I would love to suggest you. Get the videos here. The exercise are mostly practiced on the mat. Now, I can already hear you saying: “Mel, if I go on the floor, I won’t be able to come back up again”. I have news for you. What if I teach you how to go down on the floor and get up using a chair? Initially practice this when you will be with someone strong enough to help you if you need a hand. Some of you are still young and you know I want to keep your youth and remain independent longer. Get the video here and practice it twice per week:
Let’s stay safe, healthy, and active. Exercise boasts your mood and energy. Remember, “Exercise is your best medicine.” Let’s get to it! Do it often! I am here to help you.