4 Reasons Why you Feel Tired on Rainy Days
Have you noticed that when it is cloudy and rainy you fell more tired than usual? On those days, do you want to nap all day or just curl up on the couch and watch TV? That is natural and here are a few reasons why:
- Dr. Michelle Drerup, Director of Behavioral Sleep Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic tells us that the lack of sunshine, on a rainy day is the main cause of sleepiness. Less sunshine means your body produces less serotonin. Melatonin is increased and we feel sleepy. Lack of vitamin D increases this effect.
- Shorten days. For similar reasons explain above with the lack of sun.
- High humidity. When it is humid outside, it feels sticky and your body has a hard time keeping you cool, so it must work harder and use more energy than normal.
- The sound of the rain is soothing, calming, and promotes relaxation.
To boost your energy, there are a few tricks you can do:
- Get dressed and go outside for a quick walk while it has stopped raining. Try to do your 10,000 steps!
- Use some of my free fitness videos to burn some calories and energize yourself.
- Get a Happy Lamp or a light therapy lamp with at least 10,000 lux light intensity. I have one at home and use it almost every morning and it helps energize me.
- Stay hydrated by drinking more water and not more coffee!
- If you hit the wall in the afternoon, why not enjoying a short nap (for 10-30 minutes). Your body is telling you that you need it.
- Keep yourself busy by doing craft, baking, playing cards or board games to beat the drowsiness.
Let’s be grateful for the rain. Our gardens, plants, forests, and lakes need it. The sunshine will soon reappear. Then we will be happy to enjoy our beautiful weather and resume our outdoor activities.