Floatation Tank: 15 Benefits
Lately, I have tried a floatation tank also called Sensory Deprivation Tank Therapy. It is one tank filled with a foot or less of water, heated at skin temperature, which contains Epsom salts. The goal is for you to float in the “confined space”, in darkness to let your body and brain go into a deeply relaxed state.
To do so, you first need to have a shower, put earplugs in your ears to avoid salt water going into your ear canals, enter the tank completely nude, close the lid and then you are ready to let yourself go in a full relaxation mode for 60 minutes. When you are done, you need another shower to remove the salt from your hair and skin. Obviously, this therapy is not recommended if you are claustrophobic!
Sensory Deprivation Tank Therapy is said to produce several effects on the brain, ranging from hallucinations to enhanced creativity.
Float Tank have also has other benefits:
- Eases muscle tension, from neck to toes. Epsom salt contain a high concentration of magnesium which helps to relax muscles.
- Improves posture by opening chest and shoulders.
- Releases pain caused by tight muscles and inflammation.
- Enhances creativity.
- Helps you sleep better.
- Improves concentration and focus by your ability to disconnect and relax in the tank.
- Improves athletic performance.
- Reduces stress and anxiety.
- Eases migraine and headaches.
- Increases the feeling of happiness and peacefulness because the tank stimulates the release of endorphins.
- Flushes toxins and heavy metals from the cells in the body.
- Lowers blood pressure and increases blood circulation.
- Increases concentration of calcium in bones. Magnesium helps assimilate calcium into the bones.
- Helps with PTSD symptoms.
- Improves immunity.
The Tank is generally safe but if you have health conditions, it is always a good idea to discuss with your physician.
Honestly, I found the 60 minutes to be long in that tank! I had a chance to meditate without distraction but I had a hard time letting go and relaxing my mind. It showed me that I should go more often! On the other hand, my partner who doesn’t really enjoy having a bath, was able to relax. He said that he almost fell asleep! He seriously loved it. I was sure he would have been out after 10 minutes!
There are 2 locations in Kelowna:
The floatation tank is an experience everyone should try. As you know now, the sensation is different for everybody. You love it or you don’t. Indeed, I truly believe in the benefits of it. My body felt amazing and relaxed.
Everything You Need to Know about Sensory Deprivation Tank Therapy by Healthline
What is a floatation tank? from Isopod
What Are the Benefits of Float Tanks? from WebMD