5 Reasons Why You Should Stop Using Coffee Pods
Who doesn’t like a cup of Joe in the morning? Do you use a drip coffee machine or a single use coffee pod?
I understand the convenience of coffee pods:
- Fresh coffee in 1 minute
- Different varieties available on the market
- Easy to dispose of.
Every year, coffee is a multi-billion dollar industry. Do you know that over 30% of the population has a Keurig or similar coffee pod machine on their kitchen counter? Unfortunately, those coffee pods bring way more problems for our planet than you would think.
- A pod is made of plastic and, most of the time, it is thrown in the trash and ends up at the landfill. How many people bother to put the coffee grinds in the compost, rinse the pod and put the plastic in recycling? I do!! But I don’t know anybody else who does that:(
- Learn how to recycle it here.
- Are you aware that plastic is poison for your health? These pods, made of plastic, contain BPA, BPF, BPS and Phthalates. When these chemicals are in contact with hot water, a light film of plastic transfers to your coffee mug and to your body! The chemicals are known endocrine disruptors and may well contribute to hormone imbalance, weight gain, fertility problems and cancer.
- Microbiologist, Erin Chamerlik, has analyzed the water tank of those coffee pod machines. It is the best environment for mold, mildew, algae and biofilms. The water tank and the lines hold humidity and consequently accumulate a fair amount of mold. If you want to clean the machine properly, use hot water and vinegar. Do a couple of cycles every week.
- Pods are burning a hole in your pocket! Have you ever calculated how much it is per cup? Your single coffee pod can cost between $0.50 to $1 and 1 pound of coffee pods can cost you over $50! Compare that to a pound of loose coffee ground or beans!
- Some coffee pods contain sugar and artificial flavors. If you care about your health, try to stay away from them.
If you have a coffee pod machine, get rid of it. Your health and your wallet are more important; you will not only be helping to save our beautiful planet but also our landfills! There’s one more advantage: if you go back to your drip coffee machine, you will get to choose the flavor and strength that you want and can take what is left over to the office!