Plant-Based Shepherd’s Pie
You are going to make “vegetarian meat” for an equivalent of 8 portions; keep half of it for another meal (like The Vegetarian Chili) in a tight container up to 3 months in the freezer.
Source: http://onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/recipe-homemade-veggie-full-ground-meat/ and Abstract Fitness Canada.
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 cups of walnut
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. dried sage
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. Bragg’s liquid amino, soy sauce, or tamari (omit for an entirely soy-free “meat”)
- 3 big potatoes, or 2 sweet potatoes or yam
- 1 ½ Tbsp. of butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of almond milk or regular milk
- 398 ml can of cream corn
- 341 ml can of whole kernel corn or 1 ½ cup of frozen kernel corn
- ¼ cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- Preheat the oven at 350F.
Line a large rimmed cookie sheet or rectangular pan with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a food processor, blend the cauliflower and nuts to a fine meal.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add remaining ingredients for the “meat” except the paprika.
- Knead everything together thoroughly, until the grounds are uniformly coated.
- Turn the mixture into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes and up to 1 hour 15 minutes stirring after 30 minutes and then every 15 minutes after that, until the meat is dry and brown.
- In the meantime, peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. In a pot, add water just enough to cover the potatoes and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium and let simmer for 20 minutes, until they are tender. When they are cooked, mash them with butter, salt & pepper, and milk.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- In a smaller pot, heat the corn & cream corn together.
- Using a baking dish, make a layer in the bottom using half of the “meat”, layer the corn over that and finish with the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and then the paprika on top.
- Place the dish in the oven and grill to get the surface of the potatoes brown.